Monday, January 12, 2009

War on "Honica"


Occasionally as a Producer at ABC News Magazines I write to people in jail. I inquire about hearing their side of the story and sometimes request a meeting. Few prisons allow on camera interviews and many inmates see little benefit of speaking to the media. Most of my letters sent on ABC letterhead go unanswered.

So, I was initially surprised to learn that my requests live on well past our interest in the story. My attempts at printed persuasion are passed from inmate to inmate as reading material - year after year - along with my salutation and return address that was meant for another.

The newly inspired inmates send me respectfully worded ramblings. Some notes arrive hand-written and some typed, but they often follow the same rhyme and flow; declaring their innocence, inviting me to follow up with someone on the outside and often sending me blessings.

Today I received a note from such a stranger and at the end of the note - after the part about being innocent - I was wished "Merry Christmas or happy Honica. (SIC)"

I have some advice for future inmates writing to journalists. Because Hanuka /Hanukkah / Chanukah can be spelled multiple ways correctly (and incorrectly) and because sometimes the choice between Christmas or Chanukah can be answered many ways (ONE/NEITHER/BOTH) I suggest we all wish each other Happy Holidays and call it a day.

No comments: